Losing your natural teeth can make a significant difference in your everyday life. The way you interact with people, bite and chew food, pronounce words while speaking, etc. would differ.
When you are missing more than a few natural teeth, dental implants and bridges may not always be the appropriate solution. Since dentures can be used to replace multiple missing teeth, they would be the right option in this case. Dentures are sets of prosthetic teeth that are held together on an acrylic base, thereby replacing both the teeth and gum tissues.
The Importance of Replacing Missing Teeth
- Missing teeth can make it quite difficult to bite and chew food. This indirectly affects the digestion process.
- The facial aesthetics take a significant hit due to missing teeth. Having to smile with a few missing teeth can be quite embarrassing for patients.
- Since the teeth are removed in their entirety during an extraction, gaps are left in the jawbone. This allows the nearby teeth to drift from their positions, thereby bringing about a change in the facial shape.
- Excessive pressure would be applied to the remaining teeth due to the missing ones. Over time, this gives rise to pain in the jawbone and TMJ.
Fabrication of Dentures
Getting dentures takes a few visits to the dentist’s office. During the initial visit, we visually screen the oral cavity to check for factors that could influence your candidacy for dentures. Based on the number of teeth remaining, we choose between partial and complete dentures to suit your condition. If you have lost almost all your teeth, full dentures are recommended. If a significant number of teeth remain, we recommend partial dentures.
A highly precise digital mold of the teeth and gums is taken to map out their position. The data is sent to a dental laboratory where the dentures are made from tooth-colored ceramic material and gum-colored acrylic. Once the dentures are fabricated, the dentist will place them in the oral cavity and check for fit and comfort. If they are ill-fitting, changes will be made to ensure that they are comfortable.
Advantages of Dentures
- Dentures make your face look fuller as they support the facial structure.
- They restore the functionality of the mouth and you will be able to bite and chew food like you used to.
- You will regain your confident smile.
- Your speech will be restored.
- Dentures are long-lasting and durable.
- When it comes to replacing a large number of teeth, dentures are the best option available.
Book an appointment online or call our dentist in Milpitas, CA, at (408) 262-1710 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Lum.